
I learn by first, a purpose and then, by doing.
The last time I learned something was how to play "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem" on the violin. The music director at church gave me the music to practice for the "Old Time Christmas Musical". I went home and began to play it. But, I wanted to hear it in a fiddle style. So, I searched you-tube and found a video that was exactly what I was looking for.
I know that I learned something when I can do it independently with automaticity. For example, I played "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem" without the music. My fingers knew exactly where to go and what to do. I am confident that I could play it again at the drop of a hat. It may take a few times to get it right, but I will eventually.
I know when my students have learned something when they can do it independently, engage in conversation about it, and teach it to someone else.
No comments:
Post a Comment