Saturday, February 6, 2010

Grammar 911

My students wrote a pass like writing the other day. I have been using a checklist based on SC standards and the writing rubric to keep record of what each student knows or does not know. Surprisingly, the largest weakness was grammar. I have students in 5th grade who do not write in complete sentences. If they can't do that, you can forget varied sentence structure. They also do not understand subject verb agreement and commonly misspelled/ misused words like homonyms. I have a lot of wor to do to prepare my students for the assessment and more importantly for the world. It is my desire to teach them how to write grammatically correct. I am not so worried about the other aspects of the writing. I need some ideas beside skill and drill to teach grammar in a meaningful, engaging way. I did get an idea of using video clips with captions as mentor text examples. I could also model a podcast using the grammar skill and then have the students complete a podcast applying the skill in their writing. That is the only idea I have at this time. If you are looking for mentor text examples that are read aloud and animated visit this website http://http://www.storylineonline.net/.
I am also very excited about taking my students on a camping trip at Playcard Environmental Center. For more information, visit their website http://http://www.horrycountyschools.net/departments/learningservices/playcard_center/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I am a fifth grade teacher.

Welcome!

Please share your thoughts.

Followers