Sunday, February 7, 2010

MStephens_Pause and Ponder February 7, 2010







It has been an overwhelming 2 weeks. We have had Core Reading Specialists visit our school. I have had a sinus infection with a touch of bronchitis. I have had a data conference with my principal. I have had to turn in 10 explicit guided reading lesson plans in addition to the other curriculum requirements. I have had to organize and plan 2 field trips. I have had to make time to work on our new house. I have had a lot to do......So with great-a-do, I am pleased to take this time to pause and ponder on writing in the digital classroom!

I agree with Sara Kajder that through modeling and close monitoring of student thinking, teachers need to ensure that students have strategies for assembling knowledge and understanding content. She suggested that graphic organizers and structured reading activities were great ways to monitor student understanding hypertext. Kadjer emphasized that too much discovery can lead to wasted instructional time if teachers are not tightly controlling the outcome of student work.

It seems like yesterday when I started living the life as a blogger. I have enjoyed the purpose, invititation, and audience that blogging gives me. It is evident that teaching is a passion and a work of art. It has been inspiring to read how my classmates are growing as a tech-savy teacher. I have gotten several ideas from reading other posts. Blogging is like a reality show as well. I get into the teacher drama, stress, and frustrations too.

I am presently using moderate technology in my classroom. I use the internet a lot for various reasons during the day. I like SC Streamline, MS Powerpoint, Interwrite Pad software, and MS Word most of all. In the picture, I was happy to receive an external hard drive for my birthday. My loving husband proudly purchased this for me. Luck for me he has a keen interest in Populat Mechanics Magazine. The biggest hinderance in my classroom is that I have a smart board that is on a stand that I can not use. The projector light shines in our face and we trip over the legs on the stand. So the smartboard sits in the back of my room. I am supposed to be getting the smartboard mounted on the whiteboard and the projector mounted in the ceiling. Yay!!!









2 comments:

  1. You have a great writer's voice! I look forward to your next post! This week have been a blurr and I am worried about getting caught up. Take care.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you sound like a busy teacher. Congratulations on receiving your white board-that was considerate. By the way, Happy Birthday. I haven't had much time to blog this week, so catching up this weekend. Loved the pictures

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I am a fifth grade teacher.

Welcome!

Please share your thoughts.

Followers