Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Powerful Moment

Thursday during science, the children were setting up their stream tables which are rubbermaid containers with soil and water to represent land and water. One of the groups lost their stopper which plugs the whole in the container. It looks sort of like a black rubbery cork. The group members looked high and low for it and could not find it. Several other students tried to help them find it and were not successful.

In the past, I would have told the group not to worry and join another group to continue with the experiment. But, I decided that the class would not complete the experiment until the stopper was found. I wanted the students to understand the importance of taking care of the materials, even a small stopper, as well as each other. Plus, the science kit company would have sent me a bill for like $4.58 because we lost it. One student offerred to pay for it. I thanked him for his generosity, but I explained that was not the point I was trying to make. If I would have not made a big deal over a small stopper, then most likely other groups would have the mentality that it's not big deal if we loose or break the materials and we can just join another group.

Well, surprisingly we had a CSI episode in room 506. The students began talking about all the possible places it could have fallen or any possible motivations for someone taking the stopper. They were asking questions like: If it was knocked down accidently, would it bounce or roll. Also, could someone have kicked it while walking by not realizing it? One student asked, Can we take our stopper out and drop it to see what it would do? Then, we can get an idea of where it might be. Still in shock, I told the student to continue with the wonderful idea.

One part of me was wanting to panic because I was off schedule. The other part of me was wanting someone to come in and see what was happening. The students were actively engaged in the scientific method without even realizing it.

Anyway, the students observed the stopper would not have rolled or bounced. It was also observed, that if the stopper would have been kicked, it would have tripped someone. The children concluded based on their experiments and observations that the stopper is some where around their desks.

And then it happened. A student walked over with confidence because he knew the stopper was around their somewhere. After about 45 seconds of diligently looking, he found the stopper in a side netted pocket of a bookbag that had been sitting in a chair the whole time. It was unforgetable. This child is normally shy and serious. He is not one to show emotion normally. This day, he shouted with joy. Although, his face turned apple red, I don't think he was embarrased. The students were amazed and impressed. We were all proud of him. The students rewarded him with r-cards. It was powerful!!!!!!!!

The students wanted to get immediately to work. They worked very hard and cooperatively. It was one of the best days of my teaching career.

1 comment:

About Me

I am a fifth grade teacher.

Welcome!

Please share your thoughts.

Followers